I was a single parent of four small children, working at a low-paid job. Money was always tight, but we had a 36 over our heads, food on the table, clothes on our backs, and if not a lot, always enough. Not knowing we were poor, my kids just thought I was 37 . I’ve always been glad about that.
It was Christmas time, and 38 there wasn’t money for a lot of gifts, we planned to celebrate with a family party. But the big excitement for the kids was the fun of Christmas 39 .
They planned weeks ahead of time, asking each other what they wanted for Christmas. 40 , I had saved $120 for presents to share by all five of us.
The big day arrived. I gave each kid a twenty-dollar bill and 41 them to look for gifts of about four dollars each. Then everyone scattered（散开）. We had two hours to shop; then we would meet back 42 the “Santa’s Workshop”.
Driving home, everyone was in high Christmas spirits, except my younger daughter, Ginger, who was unusually 43 . She had only one small, flat bag with a few candies — fifty-cent candies! I was so angry, but I didn’t say anything until we got home. I called her into my bedroom and closed the door, ready to be angry again. This is what she 44 me.
“I was looking around thinking of what to buy, and I 45 to read the little cards on the ‘Giving Trees.’ One was for a little girl, four years old, and all she wanted for Christmas was a doll（玩具娃娃）. So I 46 the card off the tree and bought the doll for her. We have so much and she doesn’t have anything.”
I never felt so 47 as I did that day.
36. A. roof B. hat C. sky D. star
37. A. busy B. serious C. strict D. kind
38. A. since B. unless C. even if D. although
39. A. shopping B. travelling C. parties D. greetings
40. A. Unluckily B. Instead C. However D. Fortunately
41. A. forced B. reminded C. invited D. begged
42. A. for B. on C. at D. in
43. A. quiet B. excited C. happy D. ashamed
44. A. asked B. told C. showed D. called
45. A. forgot B. stopped C. failed D. hated
46. A. threw B. put C. took D. cut
47. A. angry B. bitter C. patient D. rich
^Netc oo co .ne t.cnNet组 卷c
36~40 ACDAD 41~45 BCABB 46~47 CD.